Thursday, July 19, 2007

Deserts & Darkness

It's another one of those mornings where I have an endless pot of coffee at hand and time to myself. It's one of my rare days off. I'll be working 45-50 hours a week for the next month, with some days off here and there, until I give my notice. That's right! I'm quitting! The last 10 months of my life have been spent (with exception, of course, for my month away) in a consumer-driven, artificially-lit, stale-air circulated mall. It feels like some kind of waste. But what else is work? Ideally, I would've been working outside this summer, as a camp counsellor, landscaper... Anything, really. I've been so starved of the lovely summer air that I take any chance I get to be outside.

Last night, I walked my dog as the sun dipped behind magnificent thunderheads to the west. The air in Calgary has been uncharacteristically humid (which does NOTHING for my hair) and I watched carefully for coyotes as we walked through a school field. I love that spot, because I can see the lights of downtown, the mountains, Canada Olympic Park, and so much more, like a 360 degree IMAX movie. I watched the lightning gather as we walked home. It's been hot and stormy here for the past 5 or 6 days, with houses in the city getting struck by lightning and flash-floods.

I have a hard time believing that it's almost August. Time has been flying. I'll be 21 in less than 2 months, and as of September 6th, I'll have lived in Calgary for an entire year. I'm hoping to get back to school sooner than later, but there is so much more I want to do. It all comes down to money, of course, and I will have to decide. I'm hoping to visit Ontario for a couple of weeks in September because I miss my friends so terribly. That is the only thing I don't like about living so far away: that I'm so far away from almost everyone I care so much about.

And, last but not least:
Saturday, July 21st: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
Even that's enough to make me quit my job.

No comments: