Thursday, March 23, 2006

Roll Up The Rim To Not Win!

In a frenzy of coffee/hot chocolate/tea buying, consumers often forget that the coffee/hot chocolate/tea they are buying is actually low quality shit-water in a paper cup. Seriously. My university campus has one form of coffee shop, and us students are forced to purchase our hot drinks there, or else perish. Usually I choose perish, except for those days when I have a spare dollar or two and cannot go another second living without a Large Earl Grey Tea.

Usually.

But then comes the time of year where the entirety of Canada is consumed with the feverish obsession that is Roll Up The Rim (To WIN!). Once in a while someone will win a free coffee, or a free doughnut, and God Almighty, isn't THAT just the greatest thing since hot dog vendors? Even though you've bought 23 hot beverages, you've only won once. Or twice, if you're EXTRA lucky. It's exactly like the lottery. But worse, and possibly less healthy. And the worst thing? I can't resist it either. For example, today I was about to order my usual miniature-sized hot chocolate, you know, to nourish my brain (I am learning! I require nutrients!), and realized that ROLL UP THE RIM DOES NOT OCCUR IN SMALL-SIZED CUPS. I was forced by my suspended disbelief that I might actually win this time to buy a medium instead. It was horrible and sweet and I rolled up the rim and I did not win!

That's it. I give up the 'Ho forever.

Except for maybe those Boston Cream doughnuts.

And the occasional Old Fashioned Glazed.

No comments: