Thursday, January 11, 2007

Playgrounds Are Graveyards

And all of our scars are permanent.

I've returned from Toronto (on Monday morning, in fact) after sleeping in an airport, lots of eating, seeing Emily Haines & the Soft Skeleton on the Danforth, so many buses and trains and planes that I couldn't even keep track.

It's 2007, everybody, so let's begin anew.

I've been thinking hard about my next tattoo. I've found an artist that does excellent work, and am seriously considering getting a picture this time (unbelievable, I know), so I just need to decide what. I usually get flashes of inspiration and am always completely happy with what I get, but this time I have none and thus will be unhappy with an impulse. I'll keep you updated.

It's terrifyingly cold in Calgary, again, and although I am going to hate myself tomorrow morning, I am going to walk to the gym in the snow and give 'er. After the wind-down from Christmas, work is mind-numbingly boring and I've been spending somewhat regrettable amounts of money in the mall in compensation (lululemon, half-price calendars, a new flatiron, a new bath loofah, why? Why? Why?).

Considering my many useless and somewhat overambitious ideas of late, I've actually come to a conclusion: I love Calgary. I am staying in Calgary. I am going to go to school here in Calgary starting in the fall and I may or may not have a 3 year plan that begins and may or may not end in Calgary. Within this 3 year plan is a few months of travelling, lots of months of schooling, and hopefully at the end an actual career. We'll see how this goes. It's actually horribly exciting to have a firm plan that might take me somewhere, and I can't think too much about it or I might explode into little tiny atoms of excite!

And now, as I shiver alone in my room, typing and listening to the Donnie Darko soundtrack & score, I leave you with this:
Is the past automatically better than the future, or vice versa? And why?
Thanks, Emily.




Goodnight, moon.

No comments: